Monday, October 17, 2011

Getting Triangular

Last Wednesday, Susan offered up the One Layer Wednesday challenge that freaked me out!

Use at least one triangle on a card. You may use a real triangle (stamped, sponged) or images that are have an overall triangular profile or embellishments arranged in triangles. You may even choose to make a triangular card base!

After a lot of thought and searching for triangles, I chose the Season of Friendship set.  Mainly because I needed some more Thanksgiving cards.  I see lots of triangle in this card when I look for them.



I used the colors from the Color Challenge at SCS last week.  They were Tempting Turquoise, Pumpkin Pie, and Elegant Eggplant.

I inked the leaves in Pumpkin Pie and thumped with an Elegant Eggplant marker.  The sentiment is also in Eggplant.  The little bird was stamped on a scrap, cut out and adhered with a glue dot.


This next card has the triangular shaped trees and they are arranged in a triangle.

The sentiment was a bit too small and seemed lost so I added some scoring and ribbon.  Then I added some Dazzling Details below the trees for "snow" and some rhinestones on one tree.  It's hard to see, but I also used some glitter pens that I've had for ages.  They don't even have a  name on them.  Maybe you can see those details better here.


I've gotta tell you, I was terrible in geometry.  I'd rather forget that it even exists!  I can't break down a card and tell you why I like it or even why I lay something out the way I do.  I just go with what pleases me.  The theory behind it all is way beyond my understanding.  That's one reason I like to read Susan's blog.  She KNOWS how it all works.  I am always amazed at her explanations.  Then true to form, I promptly forget what I read.

 These days, the facts I know are that when you feed a baby, they promptly spit up on you and when you start to do anything that doesn't directly involve them, they cry.  If you ignore the cry, they scream.  Then the 3 yr. old starts yelling "take him out of here".  (We always remind him to say please.)  Can you tell it's been a particularly trying day?  Tomorrow will be better. 

Tomorrow will be better.

Tomorrow will be better.

Thanks for the visit and letting me whine.

Card Recipe (Thanksgiving card)
Stamps:  Season of Friendship, Holidays and Wishes
Ink:  Tempting Turquoise, Pumpkin Pie, Soft Suede, Elegant Eggplant Marker
Paper:  Naturals Ivory

Card Recipe (Very merry)
Stamps:  Polar Party, Short and Sweet
Ink:  Jet Black StazOn, Real Red
Paper:  Naturals White
Other:  Watercolor Pencils, Blender Pen, Dazzling Details, Real Red grosgrain ribbon, Simply Scored, glitter pen, rhinestones

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Colleen said...

Beautiful cards, Bonnie! I just love the addition of Elegant Eggplant to the leaves on the first card. Genius!

And I got a chuckle out of your adventures in babysitting. Tomorrow will be better . . . lol...

Hugs

Autumn Mist said...

These are lovely, especially the tree at the top. I was on a website yesterday that makes cards with just the tree printed on it and sends you some green ink, so you can add the leaves with your own fingerprint. For this they were charging £18, which must be about $23!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Aw, Bonnie! Babies (and young people) can be sooooo trying. It's a good thing they're cute! ;) LOL

I LOVE your fall card. Don't need to explain why in technical terms, I just do! THose piles of leaves on the ground are the perfect touch. And on the Christmas card, love that glittery snow!

Hope you and baby Jack have a better day today. :)

Susie said...

Awesome and FABULOUS CARDS. You did a great job with the triangle thing.

Benzi said...

Your cards are very pretty, Bonnie. I don't think I've made a Thanksgiving card yet...lots of Fall cards, though.
Thanks for your congrats on my showcased card at Less is More. That was a nice surprise.

Vicky Hayes said...

I absolutely love the thanksgiving card with all those gorgeous leaves and that turquoise bird, and your Christmas card is lovely too. You sound as if you've had a tough day Bonnie but juggling babies and toddlers is a very hard thing to do. All I know is that you get out of it 500% more than you put in.

Kathy Schweinfurth said...

Bonnie - I've awarded you the Versatile Blogger award! Go to thepaperstamper.blogspot.com to pick up your award :)

Lesley said...

lovely card - love this new stamp set best wishes Lesley x

Shirley said...

Simplicity and elegance together!

Shirley said...

Cute, elegant, and so pretty too!