Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Possessed


All day yesterday I kept thinking about the SCS Color Challenge.  Karen B. Barber was the hostess and if you have ever seen her work, you'll understand why I say I was possessed!  I just had to make this card before I went to bed!  There was no stopping me! I couldn't pass up Not Quite Navy, Daffodil Delight and Cajun Craze with wide grosgrain ribbon for dessert!  (Actually the ribbon was the biggest challenge for me!)


Karen has a very destinctive style.  Take a look in her SCS gallery.  I always love reading her descriptions too.  She's a hoot!  This card is totally inspired by Karen!

It was like an out of body experience!  Has that ever happened to you?  I think I've reached a new level in my obsession!

I used the Sale-a-bration set Sweet Summer.  Now when I first saw this set, it did nothing for me.  Actually seeing what Karen did with it made me really want it!

I stamped the spikey flowers with Cajun Craze and colored them with a Daffodil Delight SU marker and did a little extra Cajun dot in the center.  I stamped the round flower with Night of Navy and outlined the petals with the Night of Navy marker, then blended with the blender pen.  I used the Signo White Gel pen in the centers.  I had to add in an extra color for the stems because I didn't think the given colors would work there.  I used Always Artichoke, did a little outlining with the Artichoke marker and blended.  The bee is stamped with Basic Black and colored with the Daffodil marker.

I cut the design out with the largest oval die and the BIG GUY.  Then I had to dig for something that is not SU.  I have a cutter system from another company that lies deep in the bottom of a drawer and only comes out for emergencies.  It worked great for the Daffodil & Not Quite Navy ovals.

I spritzed the design with the Color Spritzer Tool and the Daffodil & Cajun markers.  It was so much fun that I spritzed the card too! 

After I struggled to get that ribbon and bow done (it took longer than the rest of the card), I assembled the ovals and used the Signo White Gel pen to dot around the outside of that NQN oval.

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Sweet Summer
Ink:  Cajun Craze, Not Quite Navy, SU Markers (same, also Daffodil Delight, Always Artichoke), Basic Black
Paper:  Whisper White, Not Quite Navy, Daffodil Delight
Accessories:  Not Quite Navy (from a ribbon set in last years Idea Book and Catalog), Uni Ball Signo Gel Pen, Blender Pen, Color Spritzer Tool

Hopefully I can get to bed a little earlier tonight.  It was fun though!  I love it when an idea works out!

Enjoy,
Bonnie

3 comments:

Benzi said...

Ha....taking obsession to the limit, huh? Your write up was so funny. I agree, Karen B. Barber's cards are awesome. I really like the stamp you used and your gel pen dots really added a lot. Sounds like you had fun with the spritzer. Super creation.

Emily Keaton said...

Wow, this is really beautiful, Bonnie. You really tamed these tough challenge colors and made them play nice with one another!! Love it. :)

Sarah Coggins said...

Gorgeous! I love the colors and the ribbon. :)