Thursday, July 1, 2010

At the Beach

Hello and welcome.

I am not an artist as you can see, but I love trying new techniques and think that just maybe, with trial and practice, I can come as close to an artist as God wants me to be.

After watercoloring 3 pieces to look like the beach, I decided to try sponging. I have admired so many sponged cards but have never used the technique much. I love the soft pastel look of it.

I used Naturals Ivory for the base card and cut a piece from scrap computer paper to give the shape of the beach. I laid it down and used 1/6 of a sponge (p. 195; 2010-2011 SU catalog) to dip in the Bermuda Bay (you can use Marina Mist instead) ink pad and sponged on the card. Oh, I also laid the straight edge of the rest of the scrap paper to leave room for the sky.

I like how the sponging has many shades of blue. It just kind of happens that way.

Then I punched a 1" circle from the sky mask and sponged Crushed Curry for the sun. (You can use Daffodil Delight if you don't have the Curry.)

Then I laid the circle down over the sun and sponged some Dusty Durango very lightly around the horizon to look like the sky at sunrise. Finally, I lightly sponged Bermuda Bay on the rest of the sky. (These 3 colors were the Color Challenge this week on SCS.)

To finish the scene off, I sponged a little Crumb Cake on the beach to give it some depth. I used an eye shadow sponge to add some Crumb Cake at the edge of the shore and a little whisper white on the ocean.

The shells, from Nature's Nest, were stamped with VersaMark and heat embossed with white embossing powder. When they cooled, I colored them with a Dusty Durango marker. They were a little dark so I painted them with some Frost White Shimmer Paint. The photo doesn't show how well they shine. They are a little big for the scene but they will have to do.


I hope you enjoy this little trip to the beach. I'll be back with another post later.
Bonnie

No comments: